The John Michael Kohler Arts Center, a dynamic, nationally known visual and performing arts center located in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, seeks an associate registrar to assist in the management and implementation of all incoming and outgoing loans and the management of a collection that includes over 25,000 objects and the related artist archives.
The associate registrar shares responsibility, as part of the registrarial team, for all aspects of registration, documentation, and temporary incoming loans as well as collections management of the collection. Shared responsibilities also include the proper care, risk management, art handling, and movement of all objects; preparing expenses related to annual budget covering both temporary loans and the collection; and supporting a significant collections move to the Art Preserve facility, which will open in Sheboygan in summer 2020.
- Work with the exhibitions team on planning and logistics of each temporary or traveling exhibition
- Maintain accurate records regarding lender requirements, shipping details, and courier information for each object and shipment
- Pack, crate, ship, and, as needed, courier art
- Assist with loading and unloading of art
- Work with registrarial team to develop and implement policies and procedures to streamline and automate temporary loan information flow
- Update and keep current records regarding the value of permanent and temporary art, report any possible claims, and assist in completing appropriate paperwork
- Administer legal forms of registration activity including loan agreements and receipt/release forms
- Monitor gallery and storage environments, and security related to art storage and exhibitions, and advise Facilities and/or Security departments on requirements specific to each exhibition
- Contribute to the management of all aspects of collection records, including accession, deaccession, deeds of gifts, and object records
- Manage the handling and movement of works of art within the building, grounds, off-site storage, and the new Art Preserve facility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, art, art history, or related field from accredited institution with relevant registration experience working with a temporary loans, particularly loans of contemporary art.
Related Experience: Required three years of experience at or above the level of assistant registrar, or master’s degree in related field plus two years of full-time experience at or above the level of assistant registrar.
Job Specific Competencies
- Experience with site-specific installations and traveling exhibitions highly preferred
- Excellent project management skills
- High level of written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess risk and communicate options
- Accuracy and attention to details
- Ability to be flexible, communicative, and work collaboratively in a team environment
- Knowledge of conservation/preservation practices
- Proficiency with collections management software, experience with PastPerfect preferred
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Familiarity with digital image management
- Experience in proper packing and crating methods
- Knowledge of proper art handling
- Good physical condition and able to safely lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to lift and carry items while walking and while climbing stairs
- Flexible work schedule, ability to work long hours as necessary
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends as necessary
Send cover letter, résumé, and professional references to:
John Michael Kohler Arts Center
608 New York Avenue, Sheboygan, WI 53081
Or email email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted through May 31, 2019