The John Michael Kohler Arts Center seeks a highly organized Community Arts Program Assistant to join the Public Programs team. The Community Arts Program Assistant will provide administrative and programming support for Community Arts, ensuring all administrative duties are completed accurately and delivered with high quality and in a timely manner. Responsibilities include a variety of clerical tasks, communication, outreach, and excellent customer service experience for Community Arts and Public Programs programming initiatives.
- Work with Community Arts Program Director to maintain regular communication with Arts Center’s Community Partners; this will include setting regular meetings, open houses, workshops, etc. Will assist with communication, logistics (including organizing hospitality), note-taking at meetings, and follow-up exchange.
- Schedule and organize logistics and activities such as meetings, appointments, travel, and conferences for all members and artists of Community Arts.
- Assist the commissioned artists as directed by the Community Arts Program Director.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence memos, letters, faxes and forms; create and modify various documents using Microsoft Office. Take notes at meetings as needed. Assist in writing, organizing, and tracking contracts for Community Arts.
- Assist in budget tracking and process/submit purchase orders for Community Arts.
- Uphold awareness of all Community Arts’ activities and events through monthly reminders to Community Partners, audiences, Arts Center staff and update Art Center staff’s calendars.
- Work with Marketing department to enter and promote Community Arts events in database, on website and through social media outlets.
- Proofread copy for spelling, grammar and layout, making appropriate changes.
- Assist with Community Arts-related exhibitions.
- Assist with logistics for events and programming at events as needed.
- Assist in evaluation including obtaining and maintaining data tracking including program attendance, demographics, as well as qualitative and quantitative measures.
- Assist Development department with grant research, copy, and data mining.
- Order and maintain inventory as needed for Community Arts.
- Organize and maintain files and records for Community Arts.
- Be active and collaborative with Public Programs and strategic planning initiatives.
- Attend curatorial briefings and docent trainings.
- Handle other duties as assigned.
- Passion for and commitment to JMKAC’s core mission and goals
- Passion for and commitment to equity and diversity in the arts
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to manage complex projects and prioritize tasks; highly organized and detail-oriented
- Proven teamwork and collaboration, a readiness to share information, and willingness to accept feedback
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Emotional intelligence and cultural competence; ability to connect with diverse audiences
- Fluency in Spanish
- Resourcefulness, with the ability to adapt to rapid change and anticipate opportunities
- Availability for evening/weekend events
- Understanding of art and/or nonprofit processes
Education and Experience
- Proven administrative assistant experience
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Technical capacity; proficiency with Word and Excel.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Thoroughness and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Collaborative and flexible
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector and procedures is helpful
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration or nonprofit area preferred
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week. Days and hours of work vary based on Public Program events and incudes evening and weekend shifts as necessary.
The John Michael Kohler Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all EOE and ADA requirements. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce, and we have a strong organizational commitment to racial equity. People of color, gender non-conforming people, people with disabilities, and low-income people are encouraged to apply. Please let us know if we can help make the application or hiring process more accessible for you.
Please send cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to:
John Michael Kohler Arts Center
Human Resources Manager
608 New York Avenue, Sheboygan, WI 53081
Or email: HR@jmkac.org