One-year full time with opportunity for benefits.
The John Michael Kohler Arts Center, a dynamic, nationally known visual and performing arts center located in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, seeks a registrarial fellow to support the registrars in the management of incoming and outgoing loans for exhibitions and the maintenance of a collection comprising over 25,000 objects.
The registrarial fellow shares responsibility, as part of the team, for the documentation and proper care of temporary loans and the collection. This includes collections database maintenance, reporting, art handling, and supporting a significant collections move to the Art Preserve facility, which opens in Sheboygan in 2021.
- Maintain all aspects of collection records, including accession, deaccession, deeds of gifts, and object records
- Assist in the processing of incoming gifts and scheduled inventories of collection objects
- Assist in the handling, packing, and movement of works of art within the building, grounds, off-site storage, and the new Art Preserve facility
- Assist in the maintenance involved in environmental monitoring of galleries and collections spaces
- Work with the exhibitions team on planning and logistics of each temporary exhibition
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate records regarding lender requirements, shipping details, and courier information for each object and shipment
- Work with registrarial team to assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to streamline and automate temporary loan information flow
- Assist in the packing and unpacking of work as needed
- Assist with loading and unloading of art as needed
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, art, art history, or related field from accredited institution. A strong applicant will also have relevant registration experience working within a collections management database or record keeping.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Accuracy and attention to details
- Proficiency with collections management software, experience with PastPerfect preferred
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of proper art handling
- High level of written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess risk and communicate options
- Ability to be flexible, communicative, and work collaboratively in a team environment
- Good physical condition and able to safely lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to lift and carry items while walking and while climbing stairs
- Flexible work schedule, ability to work long hours as necessary
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends as necessary
Send cover letter, résumé, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.