The Retail Operations Manager/Buyer is responsible for the management and profitability of two retail locations and an online store. Duties include oversight of operations, merchandise selection and strategy, marketing coordination, implementation of outstanding customer service standards, and effective merchandizing techniques.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of the store, including planning, purchasing, customer service experience, and merchandising.
- Develops and supervises store personnel with a focus on effective customer service. Ensures all staff have knowledge of merchandise and artists represented and provide all visitors with excellent customer experience.
- Works with staff to effectively display merchandise on a continuous basis, ensuring a fresh look of stores that is aligned with our JMKAC brand.
- Develops and makes recommendations on annual buying strategy for both stores based on historical sales trends, margins, current inventory levels, customer and staff input, current trends, quality and availability of merchandise, and a review of price points.
- Buyer for both retail locations. Researches new artists for wholesale and/or consignment.
- Designs or works directly with marketing to design and develop all custom products for shop that represent JMKAC Brand and Collection.
- Curates themed exhibitions of consigned work.
- Oversees sales and inventory levels. Develops and implements a sales strategy to reduce slow-turn merchandise and free up expenditures for new merchandise.
- Partners with Manager of Earned Revenue on annual budget. Reviews monthly financial statements and adjusts strategy to achieve desired results.
- Works directly with marketing to develop overall advertising schedule on a yearly basis. Identifies and recommends copy and images for marketing efforts.
- Supervisory responsibilities: 6-8 employees including Retail Administrator/Bookkeeper and Retail Sales Associates.
Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality. Acts as a positive influence on others; is passionate about the Arts Center, internally and externally. Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas. Strong interpersonal communication skills with staff, interdepartmental, and leadership.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
- Retail experience, preferably 3-5 years in an art-oriented or high-end specialty store.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work independently, collaboratively, and in a team environment.
- Organized and detail oriented with superb time management skills.
- Pro-active self-starter who exhibits initiative and leadership.
- Proficiency with POS, Word, Excel, and Inventory Management.
- Ability to work varied hours including holidays, evenings and weekends if necessary.
- Standing or walking for more than 4 hours/day.
- Bending, reaching, pushing, pulling, climb a step ladder, handle weight up to 25 lbs.
- Maintain professional and businesslike demeanor and appearance.
- Flexibility in schedule; some holiday, evening and weekend hours may be required.
The John Michael Kohler Arts Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Send cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to:
John Michael Kohler Arts Center
Human Resources Manager
608 New York Avenue,
Sheboygan, WI 53081
Or email: HR@jmkac.org