The John Michael Kohler Arts Center is a nationally known visual and performing Arts Center in downtown Sheboygan, Wisconsin. With a focus on contemporary art, it has amassed a vast permanent collection and has 11 gallery spaces for changing temporary exhibitions. In addition, the Arts Center offers theatre, music, and dance performances; educational programs; an arts-based preschool; classes; tours; festivals; and more.
The Arts Center is seeking part-time security guards to safeguard and protect all assets, personnel, students, members, and visitors. Along with providing a safe environment, guards educate visitors about Arts Center security protocol.
Considerable independent judgment and action are exercised within established guidelines. This includes monitoring the galleries to prevent loss or damage due to theft, vandalism, safety/fire hazards, etc. Security Guards are observers and reporters of any suspicious individuals and activities and also provide visitors and staff with fire safety and building evacuation assistance as necessary.
Hours of work and duties may vary to meet the Arts Center’s requirement to staff the facilities during open hours and to staff private events. The positions are physically demanding as they require lengthy periods of standing and walking
Protection of assets, personnel and visitors
- Provides security for galleries, studios, and public spaces.
- Monitors artwork in galleries, ensuring established security and safety protocols are upheld and enforced.
- Maintains current knowledge of museum exhibitions and related security considerations for all galleries.
- Explains Arts Center rules and guidelines to visitors in a polite and courteous manner.
- Enforces security protocols, emergency procedures, and institutional regulations regarding proper conduct and evacuation of the facility to visitors and third party user-groups.
- Reports theft, acts of vandalism, illegal entry, and any other unauthorized or irregular activity to a supervisor and prepares routine security and incident reports as required.
- Responds to emergency calls for assistance, administers first aid, and records details of incidents as needed.
- Assists with Arts Center’s open/close procedures in compliance with established guidelines.
- Performs related work as required.
- Dependability, flexibility, and adaptability in a dynamically moving and event-driven environment.
- Ability to consistently exercise good judgment in carrying out established policies and procedures for security and safety of people, artwork, and museum facilities.
- Ability to understand and effectively communicate verbally, and with appropriate body language.
- Training in security and/or safety is ideal.
- Wisconsin State Security license desirable.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED Certificate is required.
- First Aid and CPR certification or willingness to become certified is necessary.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and to deal courteously with the public.
- Interest in art and/or museums desirable.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring physical strength for duties listed above and able to be on your feet for extended periods of time as well as stoop, kneel, crouch, climb, balance, and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must pass credit and criminal record checks.
- Be available some daytime, evenings and/or weekends as schedule requires.
Send résumé, and list of professional references to:
John Michael Kohler Arts Center
Human Resources Manager
608 New York Avenue,
Sheboygan, WI 53081
Or email: email@example.com